The Philosophy of the intervention

The decorative elements of the ancient palazzo Del Carretto di Gorzegno are still waiting to be revealed. Stucco modelled items, gilding, stone elements, paintings and frescoes on the walls, and polychrome coffered ceilings still adorn the surfaces of the building, although having suffered the ravages of time. The historical research alongside the restoration has helped understanding that the most important construction and decorative phases belong to three different historical periods: the first one is linked to the construction of the palace by Francesco Giacinto Gallinati, completed in 1689; the second one was a result of the acquisition of the palace by marquis Carlo Tete Del Carretto di Gorzegno in 1768; the third phase witnessed a stylistic renewal, presumably dating back to the second half of the nineteenth century, perhaps thanks to count Luigi Biandrate di San Giorgio. The facade, along with the horizontal wooden supports featuring beautiful polychrome decorations, date back to the first phase. The following transformations, almost a century later, undoubtedly involved the elimination of some wooden ceilings by building news ones. The various polychrome stucco architecture of the atrium can be traced back to this historic period. Latest in time, a rich decorative phase that still embellishes some of the rooms that feature gilded stuccoes, fireplaces, wood panelling and mirrors. The restoration work, entrusted to the restorers of Consorzio San Luca, plans on bringing to light the brightness of pure gold, the colours of frescoes, those of the coffered ceilings and on freeing the stuccoes from the layers which have changed the quality of the modelled items, by operating in the context of conservative intervention and in accordance with modern preservation principles.

The site in progress on the Noble Floor

The rooms involved in the works are located on the noble floor, divided into three considerable size halls and three adjoining rooms. In general the proposed restoration (by Studio Vairano from Turin), once having verified the good static-preservation condition of the overall surfaces of the noble floor, includes for careful and precise restoration and preservation interventions in order to bring the initial surfaces to light.
On the noble floor, following the execution of some investigation, a painted coffered ceiling concealed by a suspended wattle ceiling was revealed. The removal of the false ceiling brought to light the original wood structure and the decorated band below. With the restoration operations to be, the moulds and the related wooden supports will be recovered. The decorated plaster band will be restored placing special attention to the revision and chromatic integration in order to return legibility and completeness to the currently damaged parts. In addition, in the site stage, it came out that the partition wall between the two environments was not a supporting one and did not belong to the original phase. It was then demolished, along with the partition walls (shown in yellow), to recreate a single large environment such as that located to the right of the central hall. Removing the vaulted ceiling (noble floor), not part of the original layout, and rediscovery of the original painted coffered ceiling.

The completed Restoration Work on the Ground Floor

On the ground floor the restoration work of the hall and the great hall characterized by coffered ceilings has been completed. In the entrance hall, the restoration has brought to light the original decorative elements and, in the living room, the painted coffered ceiling.

Details

Details

Details

Details

Details

Details

Details

Details

Dettagli

Details

Details

Details

Details

Details

Back to Top