Palazzo del Carretto di Gorzegno is located in Turin, in the present-day via Bogino, once via Ambasciatori, in a regular-shaped block (the other three sides overlook via Carlo Alberto, via Giolitti and via Maria Vittoria), which was historically known as Isola dell’Assunta. The Assunta block, whose plan definitively dates back to 1643 (1) in the context of the baroque enlargement of the city, reflects its residential character overlooking both contrada San Filippo (via Maria Vittoria) and the longer side toward via Ambasciatori (via Bogino): “the palace features a typical Piedmont style as it is built on the side of the street, according to standards that demanded a linear and continuous skyline, with even facade settings within the architectural style and decorations, just as it was planned in the project for the capital city” (2).
Palazzo del Carretto di Gorzegno is located in a context characterised by the presence of noble residences, as evidenced by the many decorative elements – a symbol of a certain “taste of living” closely linked to the noble rank – that reached us still intact and widely used in the interior rooms, into the entrance hall, and in the facades.
(1) Year of donation of a lot by regent Christine of France to the Avvocati family.
(2) See Vera Comoli Mandracci, Turin, Laterza Bari, 1983.
Detail of the map (1754) showing the Isola dell’Assunta
(The Palace in via Bogino 16 corresponds to present-day house number 3)
View of the main facate in a picture from the 60’s
Cadastral site plan of Turin around 1760 (excerpt).The Assunta block appears to be already configured according to the final construction plan
Cadastral site plan (around 1820), where the shape of the palaces does not differ from that of the previous century document.
The first information about the Palace is found from the deed of sale of the land (included in the Isola dell’Assunta) occurred in the second half of the XVII century. Widow Fornelli, in 1685, put on sale a land next to her house, concluding the deal with the sale to Francesco Giacinto Gallinati. From the description contained in the deed of sale it is understood that the building was then at the beginning, with only the façade wall and the excavations for the cellars.
Gallinati immediately started the construction works and these were carried out in 1689.
In 1768 still a new transfer of ownership: the palace was bought by marquis Carlo Tete del Carretto di Gorzegno, who died in 1801. During those years the marquis had some works done, including an enlargement of his accommodation at the noble floor.
Theatrum Sabaudiae; detail of the wall and ditch making out the area of contrada San Filippo (via Maria Vittoria)
Detail showing the Avvocati building, the first lot of the later Isola dell’Assunta